I don't know if you will ever read this. Your brother is the bookworm. Only time will tell if you become one too. Our breastfeeding story is one of a battle. Both mentally and physically. Everyone says breastfeeding is the best way to avoid depression, I'm not depressed, but the guilt of not being able to breastfeed is sure as hell a lot worse than the guilt I had with Rio from not trying to. Your currently seven weeks old. They say to at least try to get to the six week breastfeeding mark. And we did, kind of, kind of not..barely. I just try to get you on for a comfort on a night sometimes now. Id like to say its a comfort for both of us but I think its just for me. You want a bottle straight after and I sit with one prepared. If you don't want to feed from me I use this time, just the two of us, to cherish you..cherish you more than ever. Yes, breastfeeding gives you a bond. But I still feel so bonded to you without it. And I guess that's why I've decided to let this defeat me. Its been a struggle. One I was determined not to lose. But I have. I left the hospital with them telling me we were both breastfeeding naturals, but it was when my milk came in that the problems began. Everyone says I have done so well to even keep trying upto this point and they would of gave up within the first few days, never mind the first few weeks. But I still feel like I have failed.
Dearest Niall, I tried. God did I try.
With Rio parenting was so fresh, so scary, I didn't want to add breastfeeding to that. I wasn't confident enough to get my breasts out, or even try. But being a parent brought a whole new confidence to my life. It changed me. It made me. I learnt you will do anything for your children. When I saw people breastfeeding in public I wasn't averting my eyes in shock anymore. I was in awe. Id look away out of politeness of course but I knew that when you was born that's what I wanted to do. Id already grew you, grew your wonderful brother. So to be able to continue to solely make you grow seemed so natural. But this is the real world. Things don't always go to plan. Your a hungry hungry boy Niall. I couldn't keep up. Couldn't fill you. And for a while that very thought drew fresh tears to my eyes. But somethings are not meant to be. Your a hungry hungry boy Niall. And if you need to wake me every 2 hours for 5oz to get your fill. I will provide that for you, regardless!
I see the look in peoples face when I don't let them feed you, everyone but your Daddy that is. But I don't care. That's another mistake I made with your brother. A mistake that made me stronger this time. I might not be breastfeeding you anymore. But I will provide your milk.
Dearest Niall, I tried, I failed, but I have not and will not fail you. Ever!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Oh Hun! Everyone is 100% right when they say you've done an awesome job to get as far as you did!! Breastfeeding is made to sound so natural and easy, but it just doesn't always work that way. I'm so glad that you recognise that you can bond with your gorgeous boy just by having that feed time with him, regardless of whether he has a bottle or breast milk. At the end of the day, what matters the most is that you're both happy and healthy! Your doing an Amazing job Mama! :)
ReplyDeleteThankyou! I know, it annoys me that they never mentions the struggles when their trying to get you to do it x
DeleteVery moving post - one I can relate to lots. I'm still upset and a little bitter that I was unsuccessfully able to breastfeed my baby girl. I feel like if all the people who practically bullied me into breastfeeding had spent a little more time supporting me than maybe things would've been different.
ReplyDeleteJenna at Tinyfootsteps xx
I think it will always bother me but I've got to move on now. I totally agree. There's a chance my little man is tongue tie and that's the reason he can't get enough but the midwives straight away said it was my milk and now we are too far gone to get it back.xx
DeleteOh Victoria! You have not failed in the slightest! You are doing your best, and your best is an amazing job. And no one can ask more of you. Breast or bottle- I doesn't matter, you are making Niall a happy contented baby. There is so much pressure these days, to breastfeed, to top up, do this, do that. You do what is best for you both honey. Always here,
ReplyDeleteXxx
Thankyou so much! I couldn't of done it without you girls. Your doing so well and being so strong that it encouraged me to do the same!! Xx
DeleteSo well put. This is exactly like my story with Darcie! Don't ever feel like a failure, you doing an amazing job! xxx
ReplyDeletewww.mummyburgess.co.uk
I've been doing so well since this post but just absolutely broke down stumbling on some pictures of me feeding. Can't seem to stop now I've started x
ReplyDeleteA mummy I met up with recently has just reminded me she witnessed how much milk you took in the space of our meet..and there was no chance anyone could keep up. Made me feel slightly better. You little chunk xx
DeleteOhh this is so hard. I have been in this position twice and it is awful and upsetting, i'm sorry ithat breastfeeding hasn't worked out the way you had hoped x
ReplyDelete