PAGES

One week on..

Sunday, 13 July 2014

Baby Niall is a week old. I don't even know how that happened. One minute he was being born and the next..


Its been such a great week. Hectic, messy, chaotic, but great. We're just trying to get into a 'family of four' routine so that we can actually get out the house, or get things done but at the moment we are just cherishing him..the rest will come later.

He's lost a bit of birth weight, which isn't surprising as i'm breastfeeding but we're keeping a diary of his feeding times and durations, and hoping that at the next weigh in he's not lost anymore/put some back on. So far he is 3.7% down on birth weight and they allow 10. They keep reassuring me a few oz really isn't a lot for a breastfed baby and even formula babies tend to lose this much or more at first. He's down 4oz now. He's quite a booby monster in the day, it doesn't satisfy him, so we think my milk needs fattening up so that he is getting more calories. He's got a lovely routine on the night though..12:30,3:30,6:30..so we really cant grumble.

He developed jaundice and spent the first 4 or so days fast asleep but that has gone now so we are finally seeing his eyes open more and him become more alert.


Rio is still being a doting big brother. I don't think there has been a day that he hasn't said "he's got loads of hair on" or "he's beautiful" about 10 times. He's so helpful and loves it when we let him hold him and have a cuddle. Its made him grow up so much overnight. And he suddenly feels sooo heavy when I lift him onto the trampoline, into the bath etc.

Every has always said "ooh boys always wee when you take their nappy off", but with Rio this was only the case once so we have had quite a shock with little Niall. Both me and Craig have been peed on..epically! So has the midwifes scales.

His head control is also amazing for one week old. In fact he was doing it from birth but my gosh..when he has skin to skin or tummy time on your chest he lifts his head off of you and turns it over to get back comfy etc. He likes to push off with his feet too. His head strength can be abit of a pain when he's too anxious to get on the boob though, I try to direct him for a latch and he totally dominates!! Haha.

This week also brought me my first time alone as a mum of two. It was daunting at first but I managed to get us all downstairs, fed, changed, the pots done and activities sorted to entertain Rio. Going to the toilet posed a bit of a threat but I soon mastered a "are you still sat there Rio" system haha, where I basically shouted every 2 seconds to listen to see if he was still sat on the sofa or had moved to try and get Niall out of his swing. Genius eh? ;)

Postpartum wise i've pretty much bounced back this time seems as though I didn't need stitches and it was another amazing birth. A week on I am back into my pre pregnancy super skinny jeans for which I have the breastfeeding to thank.

4 comments:

  1. Your lovely post has really made me well up :) I'm expecting our second child and about a month away from due date - I really just can't wait now, even though I know there will be an adjustment and it won't be easy juggling two. Your baby looks gorgeous and it sounds like he has a great big brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hectic but do-able hun, you'll be fine :) xxx

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous post. You're making me so broody! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ty :) I'm sure busby would love a sibling ;) x

      Delete

I love reading your comments & try to reply to all of them!

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger