It's the school holidays. Technically this doesn't apply to Rio, but seems as though he starts Nursery in September, I thought we would pack the time full of extra fun days anyway while we have still got the chance. Like most parenting households, we have baskets and cupboards jam packed with toys. Most of which don't get half as much use as they should! So I'm making it my mission to change that.
Today I took a handful of Dinosaurs out of 'the Dinosaur basket', and ventured out into the garden. Rio was clueless to what the hell I was doing as I was also armed with a baking tray! It was then that I showed him a 'Dinosaur Land', example on Pinterest and his eyes lit up. He got to work fetching mud, stones, grass and a coconut shell (for the water hole). I couldn't stop smiling watching him. At one point he even ran back indoors for a toilet roll tube (craft must have!).
Before long he was too eager to create anymore, he wanted to get stuck in and play and that's when I realised that imagination is everything.
"The little one cant reach"..puts on silly voice.."Hop on my back little Dinosaur"
"Is this one a plant eater?".. Doesn't wait to response.."He must be, nom nom nom"
He's always loved playing pretend kitchens, doctors, shops, but for me this showed how little toys children actually need. Most of what we used to today was found around the house/garden. His imagination went into over drive. He surprised me so many times as he talked away to himself. I sat there one the grass, with Niall, realising how much Rio has grown up. And how much, despite my fears, he is ready for school!
Today I took a handful of Dinosaurs out of 'the Dinosaur basket', and ventured out into the garden. Rio was clueless to what the hell I was doing as I was also armed with a baking tray! It was then that I showed him a 'Dinosaur Land', example on Pinterest and his eyes lit up. He got to work fetching mud, stones, grass and a coconut shell (for the water hole). I couldn't stop smiling watching him. At one point he even ran back indoors for a toilet roll tube (craft must have!).
Before long he was too eager to create anymore, he wanted to get stuck in and play and that's when I realised that imagination is everything.
"The little one cant reach"..puts on silly voice.."Hop on my back little Dinosaur"
"Is this one a plant eater?".. Doesn't wait to response.."He must be, nom nom nom"
He's always loved playing pretend kitchens, doctors, shops, but for me this showed how little toys children actually need. Most of what we used to today was found around the house/garden. His imagination went into over drive. He surprised me so many times as he talked away to himself. I sat there one the grass, with Niall, realising how much Rio has grown up. And how much, despite my fears, he is ready for school!
Fantastic - I have a dino mad 5 year old who frequently uses almost the whole garden to create a Dinosaur Land! I found a spinosaurus in my veg patch this morning!
ReplyDeleteThat's amazing, I may have to let him loose! I bet he's love it x
DeleteIt looks like your boy had a great time! What a fantastic idea!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous idea and he looks like he is having so much fun x
ReplyDeleteSuch a creative and imaginative idea!!! At that age I would be all for it and creating my own adventure.
ReplyDeleteLooks like your son had great fun creating this dinosaur land. What a fabulous idea and virtually free to do as well.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a fab cheap way to entertain the little ones for ages! x
ReplyDeleteMy little girl is dinosaur mad and I think she would love this. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to let her loose with my baking tray though... Thanks for the idea. :-)
ReplyDeleteIs it wrong that I am thinking of creating one of my own? x
ReplyDeleteMy 3 year old would love this activity! This looks like a fun activity that all the family could get involved with. Great idea!
ReplyDeleteExcellent! I remember doing this as a child and hoping a frog would come along and live in it!! My hubby would even do this ;)
ReplyDeleteExcellent! I remember doing this as a child and hoping a frog would come along and live in it!! My hubby would even do this ;)
ReplyDeleteExcellent! I remember doing this as a child and hoping a frog would come along and live in it!! My hubby would even do this ;)
ReplyDeleteWow that is one awesome Dinosaur land and it looks fun to make and play with :) x
ReplyDeleteThis post made me smile .. It's so cute and I can jump into it
ReplyDeleteThis is such a great idea! He looks so happy as well, aww!
ReplyDeleteDaniella | Freshly Pressed Beauty
Ah this is so creative and really awesome! What a happy bunny :-)
ReplyDeleteCatstello | www.cattitudeandco.uk
This looks great, something which I think my daughter will love doing when she gets a little bit older. I love how simple it is but how much fun it looks. Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteLooks as though great fun was had in the garden. It just shows that a bit of imagination goes a long way
ReplyDeleteThis looks like great fun! It's amazing how a gentle nudge in the right direction can set off a whole world of imagination and play ideas in kids minds :)
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh this is such a wonderful idea! I have a young god brother and this is something I'd love to try with him! He's always getting me to play lego, there's only so many pretend houses a girl can make! ahaha
ReplyDeleteWhat an idea. This really shows how amazing childrens imaginations are. I was always surrounded by toys when I was younger and always chose to play with the cardboard box! And yes, loo rolls and everyones craft must have!
ReplyDelete- A
I'll have to try that with my niece and nephews, they'd love it. x
ReplyDeleteOh I love this! I am useless at thinking of cool ideas like this. My 2 year old would love it
ReplyDeleteOh I LOVE this! Pickle would love it - he loves his dinosaurs. He would want to take it everywhere though! Kaz x
ReplyDeleteCute photos, it looks like you'd make a wicked vivarium if you ever get a lizard. ;)
ReplyDeleteYou just wrote an exciting and knowledgeable information on this.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your thought that children can easily learn and get more knowledge on the Dinosaur.
Dinosaur Game