PAGES

The right time for a toddler bed?

Wednesday, 7 August 2013

The day that Rio learnt to pull himself up was the day that he fell out his cot. Every milestone is a suprise to a first time parent, but nothing is more suprising that seeing your baby fall and not being able to do anything about it. It seemed to happen in slow motion. I ran as fast as my legs would allow and I didnt even get close. Luckily Craigs legs went faster and he managed to catch Rio's foot CM's before his head hit the ground. He got a graze on his arm but it could of been worse, so much worse!



I know some of you will be thinking, well you should of lowered the cot! We did, this was on the lowest setting, all it took was an unbalance of weight. For a while he slept surrounded by a barricade of pillows. And i slept with one eye open, the cot back at the side of my bed. Then my sister noticed the same bed as her little boys (See here) advertised on a selling page at such a bargain price that we didnt look back! We obviously didnt keep the mattress for hygiene reasons but its pretty easy to pick one up. I think John Lewis even have a range of childrens mattresses .

My little boy, had a big boy bed!

There's alot of controversy about what age is right to make the transition. Everyone worries about them falling out. With us it was a no brainer, a case of 'would you rather him falling 10cm, if that, onto an old mattress or from the full height of a cot?'. Rio loves the freedom and I love watching him run across the landing and climb into bed when I say "its time for nan-nights".

You as a parent know when its the right time for your child to no longer be in a cot. Some people do it early, some people do it late. One size does not fit all. I do know one thing..the transition from toddler bed to normal bed for Rio wont be for a long while yet!

11 comments:

  1. Aww I'm sorry Rio fell out of his bed :-( I'm glad he wasn't badly hurt. I'm still debating about when to get my daughter a toddler bed. She still does just fine in her crib, and hasn't ever tried to climb out, so I'm thankful for that. We have another baby on the way though, so I'd like to transition her before then. Hopefully it goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we was thinking, his cot is a bed too but I wanted to save it for the next one. Yeah hopefully :) oooh congratulations if I haven't said it already x

      Delete
  2. awww what a big boy! i think we need to get jacob a toddler bed, especially with hopefully another one on the way sometime soon. did rio settle into a change of bed easily? i'm scared incase he stops sleeping through the night because he can get out of bed!

    dayle @ www.swingsandstrawberries.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww what a big boy! i think we need to get jacob a toddler bed, especially with hopefully another one on the way sometime soon. did rio settle into a change of bed easily? i'm scared incase he stops sleeping through the night because he can get out of bed!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww bless!! That must have been so scary to see happening :/

    Hayley
    Sparkles & Stretchmarks
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We moved to a bed early too, Lissy used to squash herself against the bars and try and climb out so we figured she'd be far safer closer to the ground. We made a floor bed which she loves and she too loves being able to get in and out herself :) L x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah bless him, this will be our next move, Gracie is 2 years and 3 months and is still in her cot but you are absolutley right, it's down the parents when they make the transition into the big bed! For us its a case of "if its not broke when don't fix it" but I think in your situatuion I would have done exactly the same thing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't for that he'd still be in there too :) aww that lovely though..it will give her a sense of being the big sister when your new little one is here with a big bed! :) x

      Delete

I love reading your comments & try to reply to all of them!

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger