SLIDER

Second baby worry

Friday, 8 August 2014

When Rio was born I had that 'rush of love' that everyone tells you about. Only it was much stronger than I ever even imagined it to be. It was like I was made to be a parent and I loved him immediately with everything I had/was. So its hardly surprising that although Niall was planned and very much wanted, I still had those 'second baby worries'. How could I possibly love another child as much as I did the first? What if I didn't? When I was pregnant with Rio I got to cherish every kick and milestone, but this time around I hadn't had as much time too. What if I couldn't cope with two? Heck what if Rio didn't even like being a big brother?

Craig reassured me whenever I gave it too much thought. When I asked "how will we love someone else as much?", he'd reply "we just will". And he was right!!

He might of been covered I thick white vernex, a bit funny looking and screaming blue murder but I instantly fell in love with him. Craig told me when we discussed it later that he did too. And speaking of Craig..I fell in love with him all over again when he took hold of Niall's hand and the screaming instantly stopped.

Loving another baby? Check!

As I was blessed with another amazing, straight forward labour, I was allowed home 5 hours after he was born. I couldn't wait to introduce him to his big brother. Neither me or Craig cried at the birth, again!! But on the way home, imagining them meeting for the first time made me tear up. As soon as we pulled onto the drive I could see Rio's excited little face peering through the window. We didn't even make it through the door before he was upon us. He'd been awaiting and anticipating this moment for as long as us, so I think to actually see Niall overwhelmed him at first. He hid behind my Dads legs and I have to admit I had an 'oh-ohh' moment. Was my second fear coming true?

Suddenly he said "he's got a tiny nose, and got lots of hair on mummy", and knelt beside him. They've been inseparable ever since!

Liking being a brother? Check!
 


Craig's two weeks paternity soon came and went. I managed to get them both downstairs, fed, changed and happy..but was clueless how I was ever going to go to the toilet. Could I trust my little helper not to try and pick his baby brother up if he cried while I was gone? I couldn't hold it any longer. I was going to have to. I devised a GENIUS system. I told Rio to sit in the hallway and I shouted every two seconds "are you still there?", and used my 'hearing skills' to work out where it sounded like it was coming from. I told you..pure genius!

After that it was pretty plain sailing. I actually find that I get more done now weirdly enough. I guess its because you really do make the most of every spare minute that you have.

Coping? Check!

I'd be lying if I said it was a walk in the park. At times its exhausting and I don't think I'm giving one of them enough attention. But mainly, its the most rewarding thing in the world. My family of three, now well and truly a happy little family of four!

How will I cope having to leave him to go back to work in April? Who knows, only time will tell.

2 comments:

I love reading your comments & try to reply to all of them!

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger